Renn Faire Privateer Gone Mom.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Paleo No-Bake Freezer Cookies

I am a sucker for No Bake cookies.  Normally made with peanut butter, chocolate, copious amounts of white sugar, butter, and oats.  Not-so healthy.  I could eat an entire batch by myself.

I recently joined a clean eating group on Facebook through my Crossfit box and have taken one in a series of 4 'Master' Paleo cooking classes.  At the first class one of the gym members turned me on to Hemp Hearts.  Huge, amazing amounts of plant based protein, from a totally renewable and environmentally friendly resource.  I dig it.  They're crunchy-ish.  I decided to try swapping my usual Grape Nuts with them to top my Greek yogurt in the mornings and it's definitely a change I can keep!  They're pricey, but the serving size is so small that they go a long way.  For some reason once I'd tried them, I thought, I wonder how these would do as a sub for oats in No Bakes?  Thus the experiment commenced.



Hemp Hearts, Coconut Butter, Sunflower Seed Butter, and Chia Seeds are things you may not already have in your pantry. 

Ingredients: 

1/4 c. coconut oil*

1/4 c. coconut butter (optional- I added it to see if it would help keep the cookies firm)
1/4 c. canned coconut milk*
1 c. honey*
2 Tbs. cocoa powder
1/4 c. sunflower seed butter*
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 c. hemp hearts
1 c. chia seeds

Melt coconut oil and butter together on stovetop over medium heat.  Add milk, honey, and cocoa.  Bring to boil, stirring frequently, then boil for one minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and immediately mix in seed butter and vanilla.  Add hemp hearts and chia seeds and stir well.  Using a tablespoon, place drops of cookie 'batter' onto parchment or wax paper and place in freezer to set (do not stack them until they have firmly set!).  Store in freezer until you are ready to enjoy them!  This recipe made 24+ cookies.






They definitely are not a classic No Bake, but they are T-A-S-T-Y!  A perfect quick fix for a sweet tooth!

I would like to suggest using a granulated sugar instead of honey, as the honey seems to prohibit the cookies from maintaining solid form unless frozen.  DARN, sounds like I need to make another test batch soon!
 

*Any of these can be subbed- oil for ghee or clarified butter, coconut milk for another milk, honey for a different natural sugar, seed butter for nut butter.  If you try this with any changes, please let me know how they turned out!!

**Edited to add:  Both of my morning trainers thought they were great!

No comments:

Post a Comment