Renn Faire Privateer Gone Mom.

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Am I too late?

We're working really, really hard to become a healthier family.  The Captain's finally interested in Crossfit, which will hopefully make eating clean easier.  We have grains once a day tops, we've cut out almost all forms of processed and refined sugars and starches, and we do a lot of things to keep busy away from the t.v. and computer.  I've changed the way I speak about our eating habits from 'This is our diet' to 'This is what our bodies need to be healthy.'  I've stopped saying that I feel fat and/or lumpy.  I've started telling my daughter that I feel beautiful. 

We're in overhaul mode here, people. 

So today, while Cabin Girl and I were sharing a cookie and soda as a treat after her ballet performance this afternoon, when she announced that she wanted to drink all the soda and didn't care how fat it made her, I was devastated. 
I thought I had made it clear to her that we're making these changes to be as healthy as we can be.  To take good care of our bodies is important, and what we put in them matters.  It's not about how we look, it's about how we function and feel.


I know it's my fault.  Up until about a year ago I was more negative about myself than positive.  I was more worried about the number on the scale than the image I was giving my daughter.  I couldn't eat a certain thing or more than a certain amount because I was trying to lose weight, AND I TOLD HER ABOUT IT.  It's totally my fault that she views food and treats that way. 

I just hope I can fix it.  I just hope I can turn this around and teach her that the size of her waist and the number on her clothes doesn't define her.  She is more than the sum of her parts and, Damn It All, if I can't lead by example, what hope can I have for her?

2 comments:

  1. Take heart -- it's not too late! You've learned a lesson and now you can reinforce that fact to her -- adults can learn and change and grow too. Adults can be wrong, and they can realize that they may have focused on the wrong things in the past, and they can still try to improve their lives. So many important life lessons you get to share with her, stemming from just from one thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tana! You always have such wonderful, reassuring things to say.

      Delete