Renn Faire Privateer Gone Mom.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Why I will indulge this holiday season.

Every year, it's the same tune:  "I don't want to gain 10 pounds this Christmas."  "Oh, I better take something healthy to this party so there will be something there that I can eat."  "Ugh, I shouldn't eat this cookie..."  And yes, I'm guilty of singing all of them, plus many more.  But this year is going to be different.

Maybe it's because I'm trying to focus on living in the moment.  Maybe it's because I have a healthier relationship with food, and my body.


So I will have that cornbread casserole that is most likely made from non-organic corn from Monsanto.  I will eat my mother-in-law's cookies.  I will sip eggnog and have a cocktail with family and friends.  

AND I WILL NOT FEEL GUILTY. 

Because I refuse to sacrifice the experience of enjoying myself just to avoid extra calories, or a few extra pounds.  Weight gain comes and goes.  Experiences are things to be cherished and I won't feel guilty for not enjoying myself because I was so focused on what I wish I could be eating, what I shouldn't be eating, etc.  Guilt over what's on my plate and in my glass will make our various holiday gatherings a negative experience, and that's not what this time of year is about.

Yes, food is nourishment.  But food is also a social experience.  Food is a means to show your love, comfort, and care for your family and friends.  

I don't want to miss out on the love being manifested for me and mine this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment